With an increased number of companies worldwide going digital and more and more people making use of cutting-edge technologies, today’s users expect nothing less than high-quality software products with outstanding performance. Therefore, software testing is no longer an option but an integral part of the software development life cycle. While hiring in-house testers is somewhat beneficial as you have full control over the testing process, it requires a substantial investment in streamlining the hiring process, onboarding and training newcomers, and creating proper test environments and infrastructure. In this article, Andersen’s QA experts will share their vision of outsourced software testing, its role in improving the quality of IT products and business processes, and the reasons why business leaders are opting for this cooperation model more often than ever before.
Why is quality assurance outsourcing a thing?
Outsourcing processes or services means entrusting their implementation to an external vendor on a contract basis. According to Statista, the size of the global outsourced services market amounted to a staggering $92.5 billion in 2019. In the same year, the revenue of the business process outsourcing sector including IT outsourcing reached $26 billion.
IT outsourcing implies contracting out the delivery of software solutions and entrusting IT-related services to external software development companies. Businesses can outsource their processes in full or in part, offshore or to domestic providers.
IT outsourcing accounts for about one-third of the global outsourcing market’s revenue. Below are just a few facts proving the increased popularity of IT outsourcing worldwide:
- the revenue of this outsourcing category is about to exceed $396 billion and will continue growing by about 8% yearly up until 2027 at least;
- the global market in this segment is projected to surpass $587 billion by 2027;
- the highest revenue in the segment is produced in the US (over $144 billion as of 2022).
With this being said, more and more business owners are realizing that a solid quality assurance strategy, well-oiled testing processes, and end-to-end testing contribute to substantial improvement of their products’ quality. Therefore, companies are opting for quality assurance outsourcing to uphold their reputation for excellence and ensure a seamless customer experience.
Outsourced QA and testing come to the rescue when the following issues arise:
- the quality of an existing software product is insufficient and the product itself is unstable;
- there are not enough QA experts on a project which leads to insufficient test coverage of the product’s functionality and missed deadlines;
- a company experiences a need to improve its testing processes, elaborate a solid test strategy, and organize and update test documentation.
Why outsource software testing?
Below are just a few compelling advantages that software QA outsourcing grants companies:
It goes without saying that professional software outsourcing companies with years of experience have a holistic approach toward quality assurance, ensuring the compliance of your project with IT industry trends and best practices. Top-notch QA professionals are proficient in performing the following tasks:
- drawing up exhaustive test documentation, including a test strategy, a test plan, test cases, checklists, and more;
- suggesting innovative ideas and looking at a problem from different angles to streamline a company’s testing processes and improve product quality;
- delivering a wide range of high-quality testing services from performing QA audits to establishing companies’ end-to-end testing processes;
- ensuring unit, integration, and end-to-end testing throughout the entire software development life cycle, including the post-delivery support;
- performing testing operations using the latest technologies, frameworks, testing tools, and devices.
Every project is unique, therefore, QA outsourcing services are tailored to a business’s specific needs and fixed in a Service Level Agreement. The customer is the one who, together with their outsourcing partner, decides on the scope of work, the team’s size, the duration, budget, and outcomes of the project.
Outsourced testing means that a customer won’t need to hire, onboard, and train in-house specialists or ensure that the required tools and infrastructure are in place. Outsourcing your testing processes to professionals allows you to launch your product to the market faster and thus, speed up your ROI. Andersen’s team of experts is ready to start working on a customer’s project within ten business days of the approval of the project proposal by both parties.